Self introduction

Subject: Self-introduction to professor Brad Blackstone.

Dear professor Blackstone,

I am currently pursuing my Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Mechanical Engineering. Previously coming from Institute of Technical Education (ITE), I achieved Higher NITEC in Mechanical Engineering with an achieving mindset I departed from ITE to Singapore polytechnic Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering direct second year. After graduating from polytechnic, I had some time to think about which course to choose to pursue in the different universities in Singapore.

 After seeing the courses available in the university Singapore Institute of Technology and having a background in mechanical engineering, I decided to continue my studies in mechanical engineering. The reason why I did not continue my studies in aerospace is because what I learnt in Singapore polytechnic is mainly specialized in the aerospace industries, which is very in-depth; comparing to what I will learn in mechanical engineering which is broader where I learn more which will be helpful if I apply for jobs after I graduate. The reason why I have continued to pursue engineering is that I love to do engineering calculation such as mechanics and engineering maths!

The strengths I have in communication is that I can speak confidently with a clear voice and be able to speak well if the speech is well-rehearsed. My weakness is that I sometimes stutter my words when I am presenting, and I tend to get nervous very quickly if I make a mistake.

What I would like to gain from MEC 1821 Effective Communication module is how to recover from a mistake when I am speaking upfront on the stage, write a concise report which will be useful when I am working, not to stutter as much.

Yours sincerely
Pang Wei Han, Sean


Comments

  1. Hello Sean! This is Yong Xun from your effective communication class. May I ask how broader studies will be helpful for you when you apply for jobs in the future, and what disadvantages are there in being specialized in just aeronautical engineering?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yong Xun, as i had a 6 months internship when i was studying, i found out that aerospace industry in Singapore is small. By studying mechanical engineering i have broader skills and thus being able to apply for other jobs other than aerospace related jobs.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sean

    Good to see that your love for mechanics and engineering math has led you to further your studies in mechanical engineering.

    I would just like to comment that your sentence "...I achieved Higher NITEC in Mechanical Engineering with an achieving mindset I departed from..." is a little weird. I believe what you meant to say was "...I achieved Higher NITEC in Mechanical Engineering AND with an achieving mindset I departed from..

    Cheers!
    Joel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joel

      Thank you for highlighting my mistake and i really appreciate it!

      Regards
      Sean Pang

      Delete
  3. Dear Sean

    I am glad that you are currently pursuing something that you love and have passion for. However, I feel that it would be better if you included your hobbies and interests to allow us to know more about you.

    Best Regards
    Oh Yong Wei

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sean

    You explain that Aeronautical Engineering is very in-depth; comparing to what you had learn in mechanical engineering which is broader may i know why during when you were Higher NITEC why you have a sudden change to Aeronautical Engineering in Singapore polytechnic Diploma maybe you could elaborate a little bit more so that we could have better understanding on how you decided on choosing that path

    Best Regards
    Ong Jun Kai

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sean,

    First, apologies for the late response.

    This is a well-focused and detailed letter. You address each of the touchpoints for the assignment, doing so with some flair in illustration. You also do a good job of connecting your educational background with your present study path. However, I especially appreciate how you reveal a certain vulnerability in the examples you give in terms of your communication weakness (stuttering/getting nervous) and the need to refine your skills. I hope that our classoom activities can allow you to address these issues to some degree.

    There are also a few minor language issues to address:
    -- The reason why I did not continue my studies in aerospace is because what I learnt in Singapore polytechnic is mainly specialized in the aerospace industries, which is very in-depth; comparing to what I will learn in mechanical engineering which is broader where I learn more which will be helpful if I apply for jobs after I graduate.
    > (missing cap/ sentence structure / verb tense)
    The reason why I did not continue my studies in aerospace is because what I learnt in Singapore Polytechnic is mainly specialized in the aerospace industries, which was very in-depth. Compared to that, what I learn in mechanical engineering which is broader since I learn somthing that will be more helpful if I apply for jobs after I graduate.

    -- What I would like to gain from MEC 1821 Effective Communication module is how to recover from a mistake when I am speaking upfront on the stage, write a concise report which will be useful when I am working, not to stutter as much.
    > (lack of parallel structure)
    What I would like to gain from MEC 1281, Effective Communication, is how to recover from a mistake when I am speaking on the stage, how to write a concise report which will be useful when I am working, and how not to stutter as much.

    Let's work on these points.

    I look forward to reading more of your writing this term.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thank you for your feedback on these points i will improve on my introduction letter further and post up a more refined version.

      Best regards
      Sean Pang

      Delete
    2. Thanks very much, Sean, for your response. I look forward to the final draft.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection

Design Summary & Analysis Final Draft (improved from Professor Blackstone's comments)