Critical Reflection


This module MEC 1281 Effective Communication has taught me how to correctly write a formal letter of introduction, executive summary, an official report as well as how to be confident and present myself in front of my classmates. Although not having the chance to have a presentation to other people from other classes, this allowed me to improve my upfront speaking skills. This module also gave me an insight into how a formal technical report needs to be written, which will be helpful for my future final year project report write-up. Having a time limit to pitch our ideas to each of our team members has allowed me to know how to give a short and to-the-point speech which may help me in my future work if I want to pitch an idea for my final year project or higher-ups. The letter of introduction has taught me how to express myself positively by talking about my personal goal and what I would like to achieve in this module. As this module comes to an end, I am glad to say that I did achieve what I wanted in the presentation having not to stutter as much, recover from making a mistake speaking up on stage.

This project group work has also let me know more people from this course, and in this short time spent can work together to accomplish this project. However, it was tough in the beginning, not knowing how each of us wants the project outcome to be, having some miscommunication about how we want the project to be. We sat down in one table together to talk out each presenting our idea, in the end, selecting one. Although my English is not as good as the rest of my teammates, I try to help by researching more on our group project work and add it into the report, further enhancing the details. This significantly boosted the information we have on our project work which we eventually named “SmartRide”. This has allowed me to have a general guide to how working in the outside world will be like. Having to work with people we don’t know, and eventually get close and understand each other. Sometimes even giving in to their suggested ideas. All in all, this module was fun and useful for any engineering job scope.

Comments

  1. Thank you, Sean, for this clear, concise reflection. You explain your reaction to various assignments in the module and to the project work you’ve done and challenges faced. I also appreciate the enthusiasm for learning that you have expressed not just in this reflection but throughout the module, and the consistent willingness you showed in class to express yourself by asking questions when you were in doubt about anything. If you can continue to build on that spirit of enquiry, Sean, you’ll can learn at a higher level.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self introduction

Design Summary & Analysis Final Draft (improved from Professor Blackstone's comments)